Monday, May 5, 2008

Peru

We didn’t know what we were doing, that seems like the normal status quo these days; its actually a fun game called ¨I have no idea what’s going on, but I think I like it¨. If you ever get a chance to play you should. So out we went, Me, Mex from Holland and this German dude, to meet these local Peruvian guys for a few drinks. As we wandered through the devastated town on Pisco, everything in rubble from the huge earthquake last August. The town looks like some Eastern European town after the World War. The few buildings that are still standing are bars, restaurants or hostels. Inside this fancy wine bar we ordered the local drink called a Pisco Sour, which is sort of like a strange margarita but with raw egg (it’s a wonder we didn’t get salmonella). These guys told us all about the town and their families and friends that died in the quake, quite sad actually. I noticed my Spanish was getting better and could understand more, but then I figured it may have been from all the Pisco Sours I’d been drinking. So the game continued, off we went to some discotech in the out skirts of town, full of people, 200 or so, and we were the only gringos. Everyone gave us the classic ¨look at the freaky gringo¨ look, but that’s all just part of the game. We danced the night away to out dated American hip-hop and cheesy Spanish songs. Before we knew it it was 2:30am, our boat tour out to the Islas Ballestas (The Poor Man’s Galapagos) leaves at 7:00am. Back to the hostel for 3 hours of sleep and out to the islands. Still sort of drunk, we motored out in a large speed boat with 12 other tourists. It was absolutely amazing, thousands upon thousands of birds covered these small desolate islands, penguins waddled about like confused business men at a vegan pot-luck and sea lions moved about in awkward dances while their babies barked and played in the surf. Truly magnificent, well worth the 10 dollars. The same day Mex and I hoped on a bus to Haucachina, a cute little oasis town in the middle of huge, sprawling sand dunes rolling on forever. For a dollar we rented sand boards with straps and up we went, trekking through the heavy sand sinking below out feet. And believe me, trying to hike up a 600 ft sand dune is no easy task my friend. So there we were sitting at the top of this massive sand mountain, over looking the cute oasis and miles of sweeping smooth sand dudes as far as the eye could see, and the game continues. ¨Go Mex, I’ll watch you first¨ I sarcastically said. ¨Hell no man, you’re the surfer, you go¨ he replied in his funny Dutch accent. Once again, we had no idea what we were doing but we thought it may be fun. Down we went like old ladies standing in a small canoe. There isn’t really any turning involved so you pretty much have to just bomb down the thing in a straight line but then you get going way too fast and the only way to stop is wipe-out. And that we did, many a time. OH shit there we were cart wheeling down the hill, sand swirling and flying ever which way, covering our bodies and filling out ears and eyes, gritting between out teeth laughing all the way. Later on we decided to go for a dune buggy ride; the driver flung us town gigantic mountains of sand and jumped off ledges and banks. A wild ride to say the least. I’m sure I’ll be cleaning sand out from every crevasse for the next week. We’re heading to Cusco tonight, a 15 hour drive through the mountains. Cusco is the base town where everybody stays before hiking to Machu Picchu. So on we go...

1 comment:

Sky Crew said...

cool man. keep your eyes open, be safe, and have fun.
Ezra